Meets MnTC Goal Areas 6 and 8. This multidisciplinary course will introduce students to a close study of the art, drama and music of Italy. Students will develop an appreciation of the Italian culture and an understanding of the integration of the arts within the culture. Upon completion of HUM 1120, students will be eligible for GLST 1121 Humanities Italy.
- Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of art, literature and music that focuses political, economic and cultural elements.
- Understand art, literature and music as an expression of individual and cultural values within a world-wide context.
- Respond critically to the art, literature and music studied by comparing and contrasting situations, attitudes, tone and changes on a global basis.
- Articulate an informed personal response to the works studied through analysis and discussion.
- Become familiar with terms and concepts necessary for the study of art, literature and music.
- Describe and analyze political, economic, cultural, and historical elements which led to the production of particular selections of art, literature and music.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cultural, social, religious, and linguistic differences as revealed in selected art, literature, and music.
- Analyze specific informational problems that may provide the impetus for the creation of the arts that may be the result of cultural, economic, and political differences.
- Understand the role and responsibility of a world citizen who may choose to use the arts as his or her vehicle for interaction within the global scene.
Degrees that use this course
Associate of Fine Arts (AFA)