Frequently Asked Questions for Students

*This information has been updated to reflect the guidelines in the Stay at Home order announced by Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz. The order, which went into effect at midnight Friday, March 27, designates Minnesota State and its 37 colleges and universities as “essential services."

M State campuses are not closing at this time due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We will be providing limited on-campus services for our students, including general student assistance, library services and computer labs. Our primary concern is safeguarding the health and well-being of our students and employees. 

For information on academic and student support services, contact the Support Center:
Call or text: 877.450.3322
Chat online:

Support Center hours are 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday.

Additional virtual student support services can be reached by dropping into a Zoom room during the hours listed:


Academic Information

Pass or No Credit grading option
What is the Pass or No Credit grading option for spring semester?

M State developed the P/NC grading option to help students stay on track in their academic program during the coronavirus pandemic. Read about the policy here. The deadline for requesting P/NC is May 15.

Academic support services
Are the campus libraries open for access to computers and printers?

The on-campus libraries will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday if you need to access a computer or printer.

Library support services are also available virtually. Please email for assistance or visit for information and resources.

Are the Spartan Tutoring Centers open?

An M State professional tutor is available during the Summer 2020 session. Tutor Paula Rohr will be available virtually Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. -1 p.m. through July 24. She can be reached by email at or by phone at 218.631.7862. remains available for current students and can be accessed 24 hours 7 days week. To access, log into your D2L Brightspace account and click on in the drop-down menu under Academic Resources. For questions, please reach out to

How do I learn how to use D2L Brightspace?

Visit the M State Spartan Center website at and scroll  to the D2L Brightspace support section at the bottom of the page. Below the Brightspace icon is a link to our D2L tutorial, “How to D2L.”

What if I have questions as our courses transition to online?

M State has created a Student Technology Toolkit for Online Learning that should answer many technology questions related to online courses. A number of Minnesota State and M State offices and departments have also worked together to provide technology support for students.

How do I access the Computer Help Center?

For access to  the Computer Help Center, visit or submit a Tech Support request within SpartanNet. At this time, Computer Help Centers on campus are closed. Our staff is ready to assist you by phone, email and online.

How do I request a reasonable accommodation for a disability?

Information on requesting accommodations can be found at If you are currently receiving accommodations, please reach out to our Accessibility Resources staff.

On-campus services

M State computer labs are available on a limited basis as we are following social distancing guidelines. Campuses will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please enter the buildings through the following doors:

  • Detroit Lakes: E5
  • Fergus Falls: L100B
  • Moorhead: N2
  • Wadena: W2
Course registration dates and deadlines
How can I register for summer and fall semester courses?

Summer course registration is currently open. Registration for fall 2020 courses opens April 6. You can register online for courses by logging into SpartanNet and clicking on E-Services. You may need an access code from your advisor to register. Contact your advisor by clicking on their name in SpartanNet or make an appointment with them by calling or texting the Support Center at 877.450.3322.

How do I know what classes are being offered for summer term 2020 and fall semester 2020?

Course schedules are posted on the college website.

What is the course withdraw deadline for full-term classes for spring semester 2020?

April 27 is the last day to withdraw from full-term spring semester 2020 courses. Please connect with your academic advisor and the financial aid office before withdrawing from a course. Academic advising contact information can be found at Financial aid contact information can be found at

How do I order an official transcript?

To order an official M State transcript, complete a Transcript Request form, which can be found under the Records Office heading on Transcript requests may be delayed at this time. Unofficial transcripts may obtained within your E-Services account (SpartanNet>E-Services>Academic Record).

Cares Act Funding for Higher Education

What does CARES Act Funding for Higher Education mean to me as a student?

The Minnesota State colleges and universities received nearly $93 million in federal stimulus aid from the U.S. Department of Education. At least half of these funds must be used to provide direct grants to students who have had their education disrupted.

How is this money being disbursed to M State students?

All eligible M State students will be receiving a CARES Act Grant of $331. Eligible M State students who have filed their 2019-2020 FAFSA and have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) level of less than $5,576 will receive an additional amount of $327.75 for a total disbursement of $658.75. Students who have previously signed up for direct deposit with M State will receive their grants on or before May 8. Students who have not previously signed up for direct deposit with M State will be sent a check on or before May 8. The $250,000 remainder of the CARES Act Grant funds are being used to establish a CARES Act Emergency Grant fund, available to eligible students.

Does this money have to be repaid?

No. Neither the CARES Act Grant nor the CARES Act Grant Emergency Grant need to be repaid.

How do I apply for a CARES Act Emergency Grant?

The process is being managed by the college social workers. Information on the process and the application itself is available at

How do I know if I’m eligible to receive CARES Act Grant funds?

Please know that federal requirements stipulated that Spring 2020 student eligibility was limited to degree-seeking (non-concurrent, non-PSEO) students and excluded students already attending online-only, as well as international students and M State employees taking courses.

Do I have to use this grant to pay my outstanding M State balance?

No.  But we encourage you to do so if you can, especially if there’s a hold on your account that prevents you from registering for next semester. We want to see you succeed!

If I receive an emergency financial aid grant under the CARES Act, is the grant considered taxable income?

No, the grant is not included in your gross income.

If I receive an emergency grant and use some of it to pay for course materials for online learning because my college or campus is closed, can I claim a tuition and fees deduction for the costs of these materials?

No. Because the grant is not included in your gross income, you cannot claim any deduction or credit for expenses paid with the grant including the tuition and fees deduction, or treat the cost of these materials as a qualifying education expense under the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Student Services Support Information

Academic advising
How do I schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor?

To contact your advisor, log into SpartanNet and click on your advisor’s name (under your name). This will open an email to contact them. You can also contact the Support Center at 877.450.3322 to schedule an advising appointment. Academic advising resources can be found at

Academic advising will be via phone, email or Zoom meetings. Connect with our advisors by emailing or contact them directly by email. Virtual "drop-in" advising via Zoom is available from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays.

Detroit Lakes:
Kristina Seifert:
Mark Nelson:

Fergus Falls: 
Lauren Proels:
Jennifer Bieniek:

Penny Brynildson:
Kristin Nelson:
Joni Massie:
Leah Trontvet:
Michele Burns:

Suzie Lundsten:
Leslie Rudrud:

How do I access my academic plan?

Information about accessing your Degree Audit Reporting System audit (commonly referred to as your DARS report) can be found at

Counseling and mental health
How do I access mental health services?

The M State counselors are available via email, phone and Zoom to assist you with issues such as stress, anxiety, depression and more. You can connect with one of our counselors at this link: .

Where can students get help if they are feeling stressed or anxious?

This is a challenging time, and many of us are feeling stress or anxiety.

Counseling services are available to all M State students. To make an appointment with the next available counselor, please visit You can also contact a counselor directly at the contact information provided below.

M State counselors also provide personal, career and academic counseling. They work with undeclared majors, students transferring into our college or out to other institutions, and Postsecondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) students.

Tom Dubbels,

Steve Lindgren,

Maronda Robertson,

Detroit Lakes and Wadena students also have the following counselor available for personal counseling.

Barbara Chromy,

United Healthcare is offering an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT HELP LINE FOR ALL STUDENTS through its Optum subsidiary. Their toll-free help line number, 866-342-6892, will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for as long as necessary, and the service is free of charge and open to any student. Students have access to specially trained mental health specialists to support them if they feel they are experiencing anxiety or stress related to the recent developments around COVID-19.

Social workers

M State social workers can provide assistance with meeting your basic needs such as food, housing, medical care, childcare and more. Please contact a social worker for assistance.

How can I contact a social worker?

Fergus Falls and Moorhead:
Tyler Strand,,

Detroit Lakes and Wadena:
Kayla Simon,,

Food shelves, food service and housing
Will food service and food shelves be available to students?
On-campus food services are closed at this time. M State food shelves are being stocked and are accessible during campus business hours. You can contact an M State social worker if you need additional assistance with food or other basic needs.
Can I come to campus to remove my belongings from my dorm room or apartment?

You can come to campus to remove your belongings, but you first need to schedule an appointment at

How do I access the campus bookstores?

Campus bookstores are currently closed. Please contact with questions. You can also contact a member of the bookstore team for assistance:

Detroit Lakes and distance bookstores - Christina Loreth, 218.846.3727,

Fergus Falls bookstore - Rachel Bergerud, 218.736.1556,

Moorhead bookstore - Barb Moquist, 218.299.6611,; Brandon Erickson, 218.299.6927,; Amanda Bohm, 218.299.6898,; Brittany Blickenstaff, 218.299.6864,

Wadena bookstore - Marlo Hieb, 218.63.7981,

How can I sell my spring semester books?

Although the campus bookstores are closed to walk in traffic at this time, students can still sell their books back through the Book Buyback link in their SpartanNet account. If you have questions, call or email your bookstore.

How do I return my books if I am a PSEO student?

PSEO students will receive a letter from the college with information on how to return their college books. If you are instructed to return them to a campus, there will be a prepaid UPS label included with the information.  Please return your books as quickly as possible following your final exams. If you have questions, email

How do I return my rented books?

All students who have rented textbooks will receive an email with information regarding rental returns.  Please check your student email account and respond with your address so the bookstore can provide you with a UPS label for shipping your rental books back to M State. If you have questions, call or email your bookstore.

How can I purchase my textbooks for summer semester?

Purchase summer textbooks through InSite, and books will be shipped directly to you. Log into SpartanNet, scroll to bottom of page and click buy books. If you have questions, call or email your bookstore.

Career services
How can I learn about employment opportunities and job search resources?

Employment opportunities and job search resources can be found at The M State career services director offers resume review and LinkedIn training. Access these workshops within D2L>Career Services-LinkedIn or >Career Services-Resume Writing. Contact Sue Zurn directly at or schedule an appointment at

If my class moved from face-to-face to online, will I get a discount or refund?

Minnesota State has implemented alternative modes of delivery for about 90 percent of all class offerings, which will allow students in those classes to complete spring semester courses.

Although the delivery mode of a course and the way services are being delivered are changing as a result of this unprecedented situation, we have established a path to allow students to complete spring semester 2020. Upon completion of the semester, students will receive credit for completing their courses.

Specific tuition and fees subject to this policy include tuition (including differential course and program tuition), required fees, statewide student association fees and campus discretionary fees.


If I move out of my residence hall, will I get a refund on my room and board?

Students who leave campus residence facilities and complete a check-out process will receive refunds for their housing and board costs.

Specific fees subject to refund include residence hall (room) and dining and/or food service (board) fees. Refunds will be prorated based on an appropriate date selected by the college or university – for example, the Friday before or Monday after the institution’s 2020 spring break.


    Graduation and college events
    What are the plans for commencement (graduation)?

    Due to the coronavirus pandemic, in-person commencement ceremonies have been suspended at M State and all Minnesota State colleges and universities this spring. At M State, we’ll recognize our graduating students and celebrate their achievements in a virtual celebration at 7 p.m. Thursday, June 25.

    Be assured, too, that graduating students who want to participate in an in-person graduation ceremony will be given that opportunity during M State’s upcoming commencement ceremonies scheduled for December 2020 and May 2021.

    How do I submit a graduation application?

    M State’s graduation application can be found at and can be completed online.

    The registrar’s office will begin posting degree completion to students’ records beginning May 19. This will allow time for students to request the P/NC (Pass/No Credit) grading option and for those records to be updated prior to reviewing graduation applications.  Applications are processed in the order they were received.

    Once your degree has been posted, you will see it on your Academic Record in E-Services. Log into SpartanNet>E-Services>Academic Records>Unofficial Transcripts>Chronological> Get Academic Record.

    If your degree has been posted to your record, it will display in the top left portion of the transcript. The process of reviewing all applications and posting degrees can take a few weeks to complete.

    Diplomas will be mailed to students at the permanent address on file with the college. We anticipate students will receive their diplomas by mid to late June.                                                                                                                                            

    How will I know if a college-sponsored field trip, event or conference has been canceled?

    At the current time all field trips, events, conferences and on-campus career services events have been canceled.

    Student veterans
    How do I ensure that I keep getting my veterans benefits?

    M State is continuing to monitor communications with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and will provide updates as they are available. Please contact Aaron Johnson, the regional coordinator who serves M State, at 218.329.6040 or We recommend you speak with Aaron before making any changes to your academic schedule as changes could impact your benefits.

    International student resources
    What if I’m an international student and suspect I have COVID-19?

    International students should contact United Healthcare, visit or use your UHCSR mobile app to find a network provider. International students may be tested and treated for the COVID-19 coronavirus without a referral.

    Additionally, United Healthcare is offering a free emotional support help line for all students. Their toll-free number is 866.342.6892, and they will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for as long as necessary.

    As an international student, how do I ensure that I maintain eligibility for a student visa?

    Review the current guidelines at under nonimmigrant students. During the spring 2020 semester, international students can temporarily engage in distance learning/online courses, in light of COVID-19. International students should refer to their local embassy website, Department of Homeland Security and the Center for Disease Control website for information regarding travel restrictions

    Other Resources for Students

    Public transportation
    How do I access public transportation to and from the college?

    Please check with your local public transportation service provider to see if they are operating and what routes and times are available.

    Child care
    How do I know if my child may continue to attend on-campus childcare?

    Please check with the on-campus childcare providers (MAHUBE on the Detroit Lakes campus and Wadena public school’s childcare on the Wadena campus) to inquire about hours of operation.

    What if I am worried about being evicted from my home/apartment?

    Gov. Waltz has suspended evictions during the COVID-19 emergency. Find Minnesota Housing updates related to COVID-19.

    Technology and internet
    How do I access my M State email on my smart phone?

    Whether you have an Android or iPhone, you can access your M State email by following these instructions:

    What if I need assistance with technology due to lack of access to a computer, software or the internet?

    Connect with one of our college social workers who can assist you with accessing technology resources:

    Fergus Falls and Moorhead students:
    Tyler Strand,,

    Detroit Lakes and Wadena students:
    Kayla Simon,,

    Reach out to your local internet provider as some are offering no-cost or low-cost internet service.

    Student employment
    Can I remain employed as a student worker?

    Reach out to your campus supervisor directly; they will work with M State to determine how to proceed.

    Student loans
    What if I am worried about my student loan payments? 

    You may be able to temporarily suspend your U.S. Department of Education Student loans through an administrative forbearance. Interest will not accrue on federally held loans for 60 days starting on March 20. Contact your loan servicer online or by phone to find out what options are available for you.

    New and prospective students

    How do I apply for admission to M State?

    We are currently accepting applications for summer and fall semesters. Please begin the M State application at We recommend that you write down and retain the StarID you create for the online application. Due to multiple school closings during the COVID-19 outbreak, our Admissions Office will be accepting unofficial documents (high school, GED and college transcripts) for acceptance, if requesting an official transcript is not an option at this time. Send documents electronically to Official transcripts will be required for transfer coursework evaluation. Mail is being received on all M State campuses and is being processed by our Central Processing Center, but may be delayed. 

    Questions? Contact our Support Center by calling or texting 877.450.3322 or email

    How do I apply for financial aid?

    Information about paying for college and applying for financial aid can be found at The M State FAFSA code is 005541.

    How do I complete the new student orientation?

    Access the online student orientation at with your StarID and password. Expect to spend 20-30 minutes on the orientation. Once you’ve completed the orientation, a member of our enrollment team will reach out to you to schedule an advising appointment.

    How do I take the Accuplacer placement test?

    At this time, M State has suspended all Accuplacer testing until further notice, to limit the number of visitors needing to come to campus during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. During this time, M State will continue to use ACT, SAT, MCA, Accuplacer scores and previous college coursework to determine course placement. If you have not taken the ACT, SAT or Accuplacer and/or do not have previous college coursework, high school GPA will be used to place students into appropriate courses if high school graduation was in the last 10 years. For students who do not have a high school GPA or have been out of high school for longer than 10 years, work with an academic advisor to determine your course placement.

    How do I register for classes?

    M State is ready to assist you with the process of enrolling and registering for summer and fall semesters. Currently, all on-campus registration events have been canceled due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, but our advisors and enrollment team members are ready to assist you by phone, Zoom and email.

    Before you register, please complete the required online orientation. Once you complete the online orientation, a member of our enrollment team will reach out to you to schedule an advising appointment.

    How do I receive accommodations for a disability?

    Information on requesting accommodations can be found at