||Meets MnTC Goal Area 6. This survey of rock and pop music for all students provides a comprehensive history of pop music in the United States from its origins leading up to Elvis Presley to the Beatles to the current sounds of today. Emphasis is placed on the music itself through analysis and critique and covers all styles of rock and pop music such as pop, R&B, country western, soul, Motown, folk, folk rock, heavy metal, rap and hip hop and beyond.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the scope and variety of rock and pop music from the 1920's to the present.
- Understand this music as expressions of individual and human values within the historical and social context of the 20th century to today.
- Respond critically to rock and pop music.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to individual pieces and styles of rock and pop music.
- Recognize individual works and genres of rock and pop music.
- Demonstrate the ability to place current performances into historical and stylistic contexts.
- Articulate an informed analysis in writing about a particular stylistic genre.
- Articulate an informed analysis in writing about a performer from the 1950's to the present.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current trends and styles of rock and pop music.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines