||Meets MnTC Goal Areas 2 and 4. This is primarily a mathematics rather than a methods course. Concepts covered include arithmetic as a system of thought, number and sets, basic number operations and their underlying formal logic, number structure and basic geometry concepts.
- Demonstrate mathematical reasoning and problem solving.
- Demonstrate the use of algorithms or basic mathematical operations that are used in the elementary classroom.
- Distinguish among sets, relations and functions and use appropriate notation to perform operations.
- Compare the attributes of various numerations systems used throughout history.
- Perform operations in bases other than base ten.
- State and apply properties of integers.
- State and apply properties of rational numbers.
- State and apply properties of real numbers.
- State and apply the principles of number theory related to simplifying computations.
- State and apply properties of whole numbers.
|MnTC goal areas:
- (2) Critical Thinking
- (4) Mathematics/Logical Reasoning
« back to course outlines