||Meets MnTC Goal Areas 6F and 7. This course focuses on the writing of personal memoir as well as an in-depth study of the literary genre of memoir; it may also include creative essay writing. It is a workshop designed to offer students practice in the composition of memoir and other narrative modes of writing, as well as a study of the memoir as literature. This course places emphasis on the creation of fine arts as well as the formal, critical analysis of them.
- Explore the definitions of "literature" through literary elements, terms, and concepts that are unique to the memoir genre.
- Examine style and voice through analysis of a variety of forms of memoir.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of memoir samples.
- Write a personal narrative based on actual events of the writer's life.
- Demonstrates an awareness of audience.
- Present materials effectively for a specific audience.
- Research current and relevant data on how memoirs are published today.
- Practice a variety of writing techniques to analyze and develop a creative voice.
- Participate in small and large group discussions about both literature and peers' work.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines