||This course is a continuation of DNHY1132 with emphasis on the treatment of moderate to advanced periodontal disease, the development of speed and an introduction to several advanced dental hygiene techniques.
|| DNHY1132 AND The student must be accepted into the dental hygiene program and comply with the Dental Program Student/Faculty Handbook.
- Collect data, record and assess a comprehensive health history, including social history.
- Perform and record extraoral and intraoral examinations and assessment of occlusion and hard tissue exam.
- Assess the need for, expose, develop, evaluate and interpret dental radiographs to include radiographic assessment of the periodontium and dentition.
- Expose and implement intraoral photography.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate a dental hygiene treatment plan.
- Formulate a dental hygiene diagnosis and supportive dental hygiene treatment plan.
- Assess the need for and perform initial and supportive periodontal therapies.
- Assess the need for and perform therapeutic hand and ultrasonic/sonic periodontal debridement therapies.
- Perform care and maintenance procedures for dental implants.
- Assess the need for and perform extrinsic stain removal procedures.
- Assess the need for and apply adjunctive topical chemotherapeutic and controlled released agents.
- Assess the need for and apply pain and anxiety management strategies.
- Assess the need for and plan professional topical fluoride and/or self-applied fluoride; apply professional fluoride.
- Apply principles of nutritional and/or tobacco cessation counseling to the management of oral health.
- Perform re-contouring and polishing of existing restorations.
- Take impressions for, pour and trim study models.
- Assess the need for and place pit and fissure sealants.
- Assess, plan and perform patient oral self-care education.
- Apply standard precautions for the prevention of disease transmission.
- Follow all state and federal regulatory requirements when rendering patient care.
- Apply principles of comprehensive record-keeping.
- Apply principles of professional and ethical behavior.
- Apply principles of evidence-based decision making.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills when providing patient care.
- Demonstrate professional communication skills in all aspects of patient care.
- Demonstrate concern and understanding of a variety of patient needs based on overall health, oral health, cultural, social and economic circumstances.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines