||This course introduces students to the properties of wood as a manufacturing material. The course will focus on the physical, mechanical and chemical aspects of wood and wood products in the manufacturing environment. Participants will learn quality specifications and requirements which are standard for the needs of today's wood-based products.
- Demonstrate knowledge of terminology used in describing wood characteristics.
- Identify a variety of wood species from given samples.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of quality traits and defects common to the wood used within the manufacturing facility.
- Exhibit skill in the use of metrology tools to gauge dimensional specifications and tolerance allowances.
- Interpret prints, graphs and diagrams related to needed wood specifications.
- Describe the principles used for the selection or rejection of wood samples to be used in specific applications of construction.
- Perform calculations related to wood characteristic formulas.
- Demonstrate professionalism, dependability and good work habits.
- Demonstrate safe working procedures.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines