||This course covers the transcription of basic health care dictation, incorporating skills in the English language, technology, medical knowledge, proofreading, editing and research, while meeting progressively demanding accuracy standards.
- Operate designated equipment for medical transcription, demonstrating good ergonomic habits.
- Accurately transcribe commonly dictated reports from a variety of medical specialties using appropriate formats.
- Use language skills and medical knowledge to appropriately edit, revise and clarify while transcribing dictation without altering the meaning of the dictation or changing the author's style.
- Recognize, evaluate and interpret inconsistencies, discrepancies and inaccuracies in medical dictation.
- Evaluate the accuracy of transcribed health care records on computer screen and/or hard copy.
- Recognize situations requiring assistance from supervisor, co-worker or originator in order to understand dictation and transcribe reports.
- Analyze and provide solutions to common ergonomic problems in the medical transcription work environment.
- Identify and use appropriate references while transcribing, proofreading, editing and revising.
- Display professional work habits.
- Display compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) confidentiality guidelines.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines