Types of Federal Student Aid


Applying for financial aid

Step 1: When to Apply The financial aid department at Minnesota State Community and Technical College processes applications for assistance on an on-going basis. It is recommended that you apply as soon as possible after January 1 if you plan to enroll for the next fall semester. To ensure that your financial aid is processed in time to avoid late fees, apply no later than July 1. It is beneficial to have your tax returns for the prior calendar year completed before filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year. You may be asked to submit a tax return transcript to the M State financial aid department for verification of your application if you did not use the IRS transfer option on your FAFSA. To order a tax return transcript, contact the Internal Revenue Service.

Step 2: Apply for your Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN) Each student applying for financial aid will need to apply for a PIN; this PIN serves as your electronic signature. If you are a dependent student, your parents should also apply for a PIN. You can apply for a PIN.

Step 3: Apply for Grants, Loans, and Student Work-Study You must complete the FAFSA each year. Complete the FAFSA following the on-line instructions. Be sure to include the Title IV school code for M State, which is 005541. The 005541 school code will show up on your Student Aid Report (SAR) as M State - Perham, MN. This code is used by all four M State campuses and M State's eCampus.

Step 4: You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) You will receive an electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) approximately 15 days after you apply online or a paper copy of the SAR if you did not provide an email address on your FAFSA. The SAR is the summary of the information that you provided on the FAFSA. Be sure to review the SAR information carefully and make any necessary changes by going to the FAFSA website. If you need assistance with this process, contact the financial aid office at the campus you are attending.

Step 5: M State receives FAFSA information electronically When M State receives your FAFSA information, we will send you a request for additional information if it is needed. Some students will be selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, which requires the college to request additional information from the student and/or parent.Students who have not provided an email address to the college or on the FAFSA will receive a letter requesting information. You will have a college email address within 24 hours after your acceptance to M State. At that time, you can also access your M State SpartanNet account. Email is the official means of communication at M State.

Step 6: You Receive a Financial Aid Award Letter

The financial aid award letter will list the amount of grants and loans for which you qualify. You will receive an email notifying you to view your financial aid award letter after your FAFSA is processed and verification documents (if requested) are received and processed. The award letter will include information about any additional steps that are necessary to get your financial aid.


Add M State to your completed FAFSA

If you complete your financial aid file at another school and later decide to attend M State during that same year, you must also complete your financial aid file at M State. Financial aid does not transfer from one institution to another. To get your financial aid process started at M State, you must add the 005541 school code to your processed FAFSA. To process the change electronically:

  • You must have a PIN. You can request your PIN at www.pin.ed.gov.
  • Once you have your PIN, go to www.fafsa.ed.gov.
  • Select Start Here, and then Make Corrections
  • Add M State school code 005541

If you attend a college after July 1 and then transfer to M State, you will need to complete a Verification of Enrollment form and may be required to obtain a transcript from the college you are transferring from. You will also be required to cancel any further financial aid that was awarded by that college.

Last modified: May 28th, 2014 at 03:14pm